On this page
NHS Blood and Transplant works closely with doctors, nurses and others to monitor the organ donation and transplantation process and ensure that it is as safe as possible. However, as with any medical procedure, there are always risks. Our Advisory Groups meet regularly to review organ donation and transplant activity and make recommendations on where improvements could be made.
- View the minutes and papers from the Liver Advisory Group
- Guidance regarding the responsibilities of the various clinicians in the retrieval and transplantation pathway (PDF)
To make best use of the information provided, we recommend that you seek advice from your doctor or nurse, or seek help from one of the Liver Patient Support Groups.
All hospital transplant units must be licensed by the Human Tissue Authority. Patients are normally referred to their nearest transplant unit, but they may opt to go elsewhere.
The following policies can be found on our Policies and guidance page:
Livers from deceased donors in the UK are allocated according to a complex process to ensure equity and fairness.
There are many factors that determine how long a listed patient may wait for a liver transplant, such as blood group, weight and the type and severity of liver disease. This leads to a variation between different centres.
There are many factors that will affect how long transplanted livers will last and how long people will live after transplantation.
Please be careful in using this information which applies to the ‘average’ person and not to you. Again, we suggest you discuss this with your doctors.
Further data that may be of interest to the potential transplant candidate:
Additional information for patients is available from the following websites:
- British Liver Trust
- Primary Billiary Cirrhosis
- Hepatitis C Voice
- Children's Liver Disease Foundation
- Liver Patients' Transplant Consortium
- Auto Immune Hepatitis Support
- The Haemochromatosis Society
- Hepatitis C Trust
- LISTEN at King's
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis Support
- St James Liver Transplant Support Group
- Royal Victoria Hospital Liver Support Group
- Wilson's Disease Support Group UK