ODT Medical Team
The Organ Donation and Transplantation (ODT) Medical Team are a group of clinicians holding substantive or honorary contracts with NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) to provide clinical leadership and input into NHSBT management. As well as having areas of responsibility the group also attend the ODT Senior Management Team strategic meetings and a number of the Advisory Groups on an ad-hoc basis.
The ODT Medical Team is led by Professor John Forsyth, the Associate Medical Director of ODT and includes the following members:
National Clinical Lead for Governance.
Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon at the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Clinical governance lead for the Transplantation service
- Leads the programme of transplant centre peer review for NHSBT
National Clinical Lead for Organ Donation.
Consultant in Neuroanaesthesia and Critical Care, Leeds General Infirmary
- Provides strategic leadership to the Organ Donation Community both within and beyond ODT
- Development of evidence based strategies to increase donation
- Provides advice and support to colleagues and contribute to other projects within NHSBT as appropriate
- Liaison with external stakeholders, to ensure their engagement with TOT2020
Associate National Clinical Lead for Organ Donation.
Consultant in Intensive Care at Nottingham University Hospitals
- Leads the implementation of strategies for donation at a regional and local level
- Development of Regional Collaboratives as a mechanism for improvement in organ donation and utilisation
- To ensure adoption of standards contained in NICE guidance and minimise variation in practice across the UK
National Clinical Lead for Organ Retrieval.
Consultant Transplant Surgeon at Churchill Hospital, Oxford
- Ensuring the National Organ Retrieval Service (NORS) is capable of meeting demand and providing value for money
- To ensure that the surgeons providing the NORS service are trained and accredited
- Chairs the National Retrieval Group
Associate National Clinical Lead for Organ Retrieval.
Consultant Transplant Surgeon at Bart's and the Royal London
- Clinical governance lead for the Retrieval service
National Clinical Lead for Health Informatics.
Consultant Transplant Surgeon at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Glasgow
- To provide the link between medical staff in donation/ retrieval/ transplantation and IT
- To provide the main route of communication between NHSBT and the medical community on progress/ developments in IT
- Consult with medical staff on requirements/ concerns relating to IT and feedback
National Clinical Lead for Abdominal Organ Utilisation.
Consultant Transplant Surgeon at Guy's Hospital, London
- To maximise the safe utilisation of all organs offered for transplant
- To support surgeons in the appropriate use of donated organs