The Advisory Groups are the key fora for clinicians and scientists to meet with representatives from NHSBT, commissioners and Departments of Health and others to review and develop policies, assess outcomes, and work with partners and stakeholders to improve outcomes for patients. The structure and role of the Advisory Groups has recently been reviewed (see link) and recommendations made from which changes will be implemented. The Chairs, who are all elected with independent input, meet at the Chairs of the Advisory Groups Committee. The Advisory Groups report to the ODT Senior Management Team.
Each Solid Organ Advisory Group has representation on the membership from the British Transplantation Society these are:
- Cardiothoracic Advisory Group: Prof John Dark
- Kidney Advisory Group: Dr Richard Baker
- Liver Advisory Group: Prof Derek Manas
- Pancreas Advisory Group: Prof Derek Manas
- Bowel Advisory Group: To be confirmed
- Clinical Retrieval Group: Prof Derek Manas
- National Organ Donation Committee: Prof Derek Manas
- Chairs of Advisory Group Committee: Prof Anthony Warrens (BTS President)
Each Solid Organ Advisory Group has appointed 2 members to each of the Advisory Groups; the appointment of these Lay Members will complement and not replace the work with patients and patient groups. The appointed Members are:
- Bowel Advisory Group: Ms Melissa D’Mello, Prof Elizabeth Murphy
- Cardiothoracic Advisory Group: Dame Joan McVittie, Mr Matthew Knight
- Kidney Advisory Group: Ms Victoria Fox, Ms Jacqueline Pratt
- Liver Advisory Group: Mr Jonathan McShane, Mrs Kathleen Preston
- Pancreas Advisory Group: Mrs Julia Mackisack, Mrs Hazel Bentall
Lay members are not clinicians and will not become involved with clinical decisions about individual patients. If a patient or a family member has a concern with a clinical decision, then they should raise this with the clinician concerned in the first instance and, if not satisfied, contact the hospital involved. Patients declined for transplantation may ask for a second opinion.
If you have a comment to be passed to any lay member, please send your comment or question to: ODT.firstname.lastname@example.org.