Research, Innovation and Novel Technologies Advisory Group
Access terms of reference, information about membership structure and meeting minutes
RINTAG is NHS Blood and Transplant’s internal approval body for organ donation and transplantation-related research projects. Projects (including service evaluations and research tissue banks) must have RINTAG approval before they can go live.
Find out more about applying for research approval.
Our mission is to promote research and to drive innovation and implementation of novel technologies in organ donation and transplantation for the benefit of the patients.
This will be achieved by acting as champions of research, raising awareness of research programmes, creating an ethos of innovation in ODT and engaging with the transplant and donation community to develop UK wide research strategies.
We strive to:
- Support donor families and safeguard the donation, retrieval and transplantation process
- Drive advancements within ODT to save and improve lives
- Promote NHSBT and UK wide research strategies
- Ensure operational capacity for research studies
We will achieve these by:
- Facilitating access to donated tissue and organs for research through a transparent and equitable scheme
- Working with researchers to implement research programmes whilst minimising any deleterious impact upon organ donation and transplantation processes
- Providing governance and supporting researchers to ensure regulatory compliance
- Sustaining Innovation by horizon scanning
- Supporting Novel Technologies and service development
- Engaging commissioners and other stakeholders for clinical implementation