Midlands Organ Donation Services Team
The Midlands Organ Donation Services Team provide services to a population of 8.8 million. Geographically, the team covers Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Worcestershire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire, and Shropshire. Within this geographical area, the team provides a service for 16 NHS trusts.
Within these trusts there are both adult and paediatric intensive care units including general intensive care and speciality units such as cardio thoracic, neurosurgical, trauma and burns. In addition, there are neonatal units, one of which is currently included in the potential donor audit (PDA). There are 3 designated regional trauma centres as well as many busy emergency departments. There are 5 trusts that encompass transplant centres including heart, lungs, liver, intestinal and kidneys covering both adult and paediatric transplantation. Two of the national organ retrieval teams are also within region.
Regional Manager - Becky Clarke
Team Managers - Harpreet Matharu, Katie Fox, Lorraine Hogg and Jude Martin
Specialist Nurses - 32 in total
Professional Development Specialist - Samantha Bradshaw
Camella Moses - Office Manager
Lynette Moore - Office Administrator
Office Number - 0300 1230805
Organ Donor Referral Line - 03000 20 30 40
The reports on this page provide a summary of data relating to potential and actual organ donors as recorded by NHS Blood and Transplant via the Potential Donor Audit (PDA), the accompanying Referral Record and the UK Transplant Registry.
The reports cover the time period 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020.
Executive Summaries for each trust:
- Birmingham Women's and Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
- Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
- Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
- South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust
- The Dudley Group Of Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust
- The University Hospital of Derby and Burton
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
- University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust
- Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust
- Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
As part of the PDA, patients aged over 80 years of age and those who did not die on a critical care unit or an emergency department are not audited nationally and are therefore excluded from the majority of this report. In addition, some information from this time period may be outstanding due to late reporting and difficulties obtaining patient notes. Donations not captured by the PDA will still be included in the data supplied from the accompanying Referral Record or from the UK Transplant Registry, as appropriate.
Some percentages in these reports were calculated using small numbers and should therefore be interpreted with caution.
The table containing Gold/Silver/Bronze/Amber/Red shading provides a comparison with UK targets. The targets specific to each of the nine key metrics are displayed on and above the funnel plots throughout Section 3 of the Midland team detailed full report. Definitions and data, table and figure descriptions can also be found in the detailed full report.
Please refer to the contact details above if you have any queries or requests for further information.